Mission and Responsibilities
As an outreach of the Office for Youth Evangelization and Discipleship of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, the Catholic Committee on Girl Scouting exists to utilize and ensure the constructive use of the Girl Scout program as a viable form of youth ministry with Catholic youth.
The Catholic Committee on Girl Scouting seeks to bring the Gospel to girls participating in Girl Scouts through forming leaders, reinforcing the connection between the goals of Catholic Youth Ministry and the Girl Scout Promise and Law, encouraging and supporting the pursuit of National Religious Recognitions and Girl Scout Faith Awards, and the sustaining and strengthening the relationship between the Archdiocese of Cincinnati and the Girl Scouts of Western Ohio.
The Goals of Catholic Scouting
1. Empowerment & Discipleship - Youth ministry empowers young people to live as disciples of Jesus Christ in our world today.
2. Full Participation in the Faith Community - Youth ministry seeks to draw young people to responsible participation in the life, mission and work of the faith community.
3. Personal and Spiritual Growth - Youth ministry works to foster the total personal and spiritual growth of each young person.
1. Provide ongoing promotion and support for Catholic Awards, Girl Scout Faith Awards and Fanning Faith’s Eternal Flame celebration.
2. Provide girls under Catholic sponsorship with programs and activities, which support the spiritual, religious, vocational, and educational needs of their members.
3. Provide unit leaders guidance, support, motivation, and direction to achieve the objective of Catholics in Scouting and Scouting as a youth ministry.
4. In partnership with the Girl Scouts of Western Ohio, establish standards for quality for Girl Scout troops and volunteers, including but not limited to special provisions for orientation and training for Girl Scout leaders operating in Catholic settings.
5. Support, strengthen, and promote the growth of Catholics in Girl Scouting.
6. Promote and assist in spiritual development programs for Catholic Leaders.
7. Provide guidance to troops and groups operating in Catholic settings (parishes, schools, etc.) as it relates to Catholic teaching.
8. Provide spiritual enrichment for Girl Scouts through retreats, days of recollection and pilgrimages
9. Promote National Catholic Girl Scouting services and make materials available in the diocese.
10. Act as a liaison between Archdiocese of Cincinnati and Girl Scouts of Western Ohio.
11. Maintain updated documents and statistics and help stimulate the fulfilment of responsibilities of Catholic lay people in Girl Scouting programs.